This is a workshop for aspiring and established Children’s book Illustrators and Authors running from 17th March – 21st March 2019.
The workshop will be anchored by two award winning facilitators:
Abdulkareem Baba Aminu
An award-winning Nigerian, journalist, cartoonist and illustrator who has worked with countless publishing houses in Nigeria and abroad. His popular editorial cartoon strip ‘Back-Hand’ features weekly on the Daily Trust where he serves as an editor for the Saturday dailies.
A German born author spent her childhood in several countries including Nigeria, Turkey, India, United States of America and of course her home country Germany. She has authored more than sixty children’s books published in Germany and all over the world.
The workshop hopes to host 6 children’s storybook authors and 6 illustrators with an aim to encourage the development of literature for children in Nigeria, promoting and supporting original works that depict culture and social reality in Nigeria.
Rules of Engagement:
- If you are a writer of children’s books working on a book project, kindly send a short synopsis of your work with some information about yourself (not longer than 1-2 A4 pages) in pdf.
- Interested illustrators or graphic designers should have a background in art/graphic design/illustration and an excellent knowledge of the basics of illustration (facial expressions, movement, perspective, style). Illustrators should provide a short bio (ca. 60 -100 words) and a portfolio of their artwork with no more than five works in pdf. Participants will be expected to work with paper/ink and paint.
- Allocation of places will be made based on the submission of work samples.
- Interested authors and illustrators can apply individually or as a team. Individual authors and illustrators will be paired together as a team during the workshop.
- The language of communication during the workshop is English. We are looking for participants that are highly motivated and are willing to work hard during the workshop and after.
- The workshop runs with an all day schedule (9am – 4pm) from Sunday, 17 to 21 March 2019
Goethe-Institut Nigeria will cover accommodation and meal expenses (Breakfast and lunch) for the duration of the workshop.The workshop is free.
How to apply?
If you are interested in participating in this project, please send an e-mail and a sample of your work by 28 February 2019 to [email protected]
Check Goethe Institut page for more details.